Continuing on from the Captain America TFA boots, which are now (mostly) finished, I started on the leather Captain America TFA Gauntlets. Check out the gloves and gauntlets from the Captain America: The First Avenger movie suit:
During this whole process, I used the Hot Toys Captain America TFA figure as a reference. Here’s the gauntlet from the figure – note it doesn’t have as much raised area along that top buckle as the actual movie suit. A slight discrepancy, but one to be cognizant of as I built mine more like the figure’s version than the movie version. I’ll have to get more leather to make it look more like the movie one, but for now it’s a good start.
Something else I noticed but didn’t feel like addressing is that the gauntlet is actually two rectangular pieces on each side held together by two triangular pieces on the top and bottom. I could have done them that way, but that would have been a lot more sewing and I was also unsure that I’d have enough leather for that. The good news is at least I know what it’s really supposed to look like, thanks to this figure. If I want to go back and do it again in the future, I can make it look more like this:
I was lucky enough to find some fairly cheap scrap leather from eBay for this part of the project. At Michael’s, each piece of leather this size was $9.99, and I was able to get these four pieces for $19.99! I’d say that’s a pretty good deal, and shipping was pretty fast. After they arrived I was really chomping at the bit to get started, but also a little hesitant since I’m not exactly a skilled seamstress (seamster?).
I started by hemming up (I think that’s what it is) the edges of two pieces which actually went pretty well:
Since I was on a roll with the hemming, I decided I could make the “straps” and attach them to the main body of the gauntlet. I made the straps by just cutting a strip of the leather and basically hemming each side. Since it doesn’t really matter how those top straps look on the back of the gauntlet, I just cut it in two and sewed it on. The hardest part here was actually attaching that buckle to the strap — since the sewing machine didn’t want to puncture all four pieces of leather to sew it on! So, I rolled the sewing machine forward by hand so the needle wouldn’t break on me, and after I thought it did a good enough job, I super-glued it anyway. 🙂 That’s how I roll. Note that it’s starting to take shape here:
Since I don’t have much material, it’s not 100% the same but it’s pretty close! I then finished attaching the other strap and attaching the d-ring and heavy-duty snap to it, then put it around my arm. I couldn’t really figure out a good way to sew the other side, so the super-glue came back out. I finished gluing the other side of the triangle to the main part and was done! The second gauntlet came out looking pretty much the same too – although it took WAY longer because the sewing machine decided it hated this project!
Here’s what I ended up with — my Captain America TFA Gauntlets!